Sunday, April 17, 2016

How I was thrown out of an event in Lagos

 
OK. I know this may sound not new especially since in most events we have the people who seem to know the celebrants more than the family members themselves, but then in as much as it is true not everybody will be bold enough to write their experiences but I will because I am trying to get something and in the process I am being harassed and thrown out of venues by some over zealous "friends of the family" and on this occasion, they were really mean to photographers and press men and even asked me who served me a plastic bottle of Sprite!!! Yes, they did.

So Ok, It was this event in Lagos and I was invited by my friend who happened to be one of the photographers covering the event. The event is the 70th birthday celebration of one baba and it started with a game of golf at the Ikoyi club and rounded up with a celebration at the Shell Hall, Muson Center.
Now, The Muson Center I have known it for as long as I can remember, in fact I have know that place like forever, I  drive pass there and most times, I am driven pass there in a bus, taxi or keke but that evening was my FIRST time inside and I was thrown out after sometime. He he he, e no funny o.

As you can see from the pictures the event was well attended and I was working with my friends who were covering the event ad suddenly, one baba with angry looking face and a very shiny bald sent over a security man with a bad smell and equally bad tie to come and ask us to leave the place where we were and completely pack or bags... WHAT?
I thought I had heard wrong but I tried to explain to him that we were part of the people covering the event, the bald baba asked him to come and thrown us out and the security guy came and this time he was fierce and was saying we have to leave because e doesn't want to loose his job.  
 
Just then, my friend came and tried to find out what was happening and he was told we had to step out of the hall and he told them we are working and we can't leave the hall but bald baba insisted we must leave. Wao, I was worried because I have never seen where even with the camera being used and also one of the sons of the celebrant coming to speak that these photographers were specially called in by the family to cover the event right from Ikoyi club, bald baba still insisted we must leave the hall and stay outside. OH WAO!

After some minutes of trying to get them to listen to us, bald baba asked the security to "bundle" us out with her properties, and the security went into action and was about 'jacking" the photographer's apprentice who is just a small boy with no knowledge of how to defend himself against such bullies. I quickly stepped in in anger and told him to take things easy and not drag the guy, by then some guest that were sitting close to the scene of this altercation were looking at us with eyes like we crashed the event.
You know how some people wey think say dem better pass you dey behave nau? The look of disgust and disapproval was visible on the faces of some of these people (most of whom are just thee without gifts) and I could just tell it was because of the food that was served them and also they saw me as one who came to eat like a "mogbo moya".
 
Now, I know someone may say who invited me. Well, I am a blogger and also a photographer and I am always yearning for stories because that is why some persons come to this page and will keep coming. And in all truthfulness, my friend invited me and I was working with him and it was not about the food abeg! I was working and after that treatment, I took my leave even when my friend wanted me to still stay. I wasn't happy. 

It was wrong what happened but then they had their rights to behave in such inhumane way, saying we are not fit to remain in the hall with guest and that we will be called in when they need us to take pictures. We are humans like them but the man just didn't want to have anything to do with photographers.
Now let me be truthfully harsh for a minute..., bald baba is UGLY, yes I said. I did snap him and still have the pix in my phone, but I am going to let you know I am not angry by NOT POSTING it here. He probably knows he doesn't photograph well hence his grieve with photographers.

It was a very lovely event because I was at Ikoyi club from morning shooting with my friend before moving to Muson Center by 5.30pm. Though it was my first time at the center, I never knew it was going to be an abrupt one as I was badly treated by 'bald baba'.
The photos shared are real photos from the event and I just wanted you to know what happened at that event.

Do you have similar experience? Share with us via ejemai1@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment